Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Haha spam wins rather need for anti spam wins

I was really grumpy about my boss not wanting to set up a spam filter (see my last post) but something happened to change his thinking. Our main mail server's connection failed(The one which is spam filtered) and we had to change our MX record to the old one and retrieve it with POP(98.9%spam). He had setup thunderbird to do it. I go into the server room and almost faint 83000+ mails in the inbox, at the same time Im chuckling to myself. I go over to my boss and ask him to take a look he was almost in tears(Oh the most satisfying feeling). Can you do something about it? I answer you mean kmail and spamassassin? He says 'anything'. I set about doing the job it turns out that actually thunderbird had mistaken the number of emails(maybe because of the large mbox size and the fact we hadn't compacted it). Whatever I launch kmail and sort the emails by date turns out there were actually only around 6000 emails the rest were old mail which wasn't properly handled by thunderbird. Since our new ubuntu server was doing nothing(except downloading stuff for me and a socks proxy muahahah) I decided to install kmail and spamassassin on this server and reduce the load on the other server. But I hit one problem ubuntu doesn't have kde so I had to add kubuntu repos to apt sources.list and update it. Now Iam sitting here waiting for apt-get install kmail to finish. I decide why not test spamassasain I copy the mbox of trash and legitimate mails to my work machine(both are huge so a lot of test material). This was the result of the test(It doesn't include all of spamassassin tests though since I was behind a firewall and had to use a proxy to access internet which I don't think is configurable in spamassassin): Speed: A little slow but acceptable False positives: 2/923 False negatives: 100+ out of 33024 mails (Since a lot of checks couldn't be done, also it should get better with ham/spam training) Still its a lot of improvement if on average we get 2000 mails/day it should work quite well. Well I hope so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bechara boss, bofh ka baat nahin maana!!

the amount of spam organizations get is soo huge!!

btw have you used amavis? i tried setting up clam win n spam assasin thru it. i set one range of levels to be not dropped off, but to mark with some string like ***SPAM*** and send to inbox. this marking isn't happening...its not being delivered to inbox.

feed