Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Kind of neat I would say

I had been avoiding this for so long now. Daily I would login to my computer and have to open connections to the proxy,ltsp server and the test server. Then open a root terminal. Open firefox and another firefox instance which was by forwarding of X from the test server to Xnest. Reason for forwarding was simple, my connection to interet was through the proxy which was monitored. I was free to do anything with the test server connection(play with my blog/slashdot). Here's how I did it

  1. Added myself to sudoers list(passwordless of course)
  2. Created my id_dsa.pub and put it in authorized_keys in .ssh folder of the servers I wanted to login to, this was done to allow passwordless login.
  3. Created an account on the test server, this I did so that a casual observer will not notice any change in firefox settings etc.
  4. Edited my .xsession file to do the stuff automatically. Here's my .xsession file:
#start mrxvt with 5 terminals, one with shell of proxy, then ltsp, then testserver #then a local root shell and finally a normal shell. I also hid the scrollbar and #changed default colors and set lines in memory to 200 mrxvt -sb -sl 200 -fg GREEN -bg BLACK -tnum 5 -vt0.e "ssh root@proxy" \ -vt1.e "ssh root@ltsp" -vt2.e "ssh root@test" -vt3.e "sudo bash" & #local firefox window firefox & #Start Xnest on display 0 and make it the server on localhost:1 sudo Xnest -ac :1 & #Start fluxbox WM inside Xnest fluxbox -display :1 & #Forward firefox from testserver to my machine ssh test "firefox --display=192.168.2.213:1" & #Finally start my local window manager exec fluxbox

feed