Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Spam arghh

The place I am working has an old email account that is hosted somewhere else and we download the mail using POP, problem is we get 4000 emails daily and out of that around 3900 is SPAM.My boss deletes all the junk manually. I suggest to him these ways of reducing spam: Me: Sir, why don't we remove all the text email addresses from the website and put pictures instead so that spam bots won't read email. Him: We already are in most spammers database it would only be a waste of time editing the website. Duhh!! Me: Sir, why don't we forward all mail to gmail and setup a forward there to give us clean filtered mail here. Him: We might run into legal issues. I agree but still?? Me: Sir why don't we use our new mailserver setup(which is using spamassasin) to filter this too. Him: It has too much load. Duhh!! Me: Sir why don't we download mail on another machine with kmail and use spamassasin filtering(kmail has a wizard for spamassassin compatibility) and then forward it? Him: It isn't that important to devote resources for this. Duhhhhhhh! Its moments like this I want to bang my head against the wall. Iam thinking who made you the network admin? I don't know how many network admins like him are running rather wasting our time by not even employing proper spam filters even in cases where its the easiest to do.

2 comments:

Mary Shiyamala said...

Duh indeed !
Buddy, welcome to the real world.
Not exactly a pretty picture.
Cynical as it may sound, incompetence runs, even rules all over the place. Pseudos like your boss refuse to see reason since they are cozy in their little world, refusing to learn or improve.
It is a sad state in India specifically since we have so much potential.
I think you might run into such people all your working life, the smart thing to do is to not let such people define your limits.
Have fun !

Anonymous said...

Yeah you are right :(. I gave up trying to knock some sense into the people here. I console myself by saying its only three more months. I just filter my spam now, have stopped giving my boss any suggestions about the network and to remove the emptiness I've stolen an unmonitored connection to view sites forbidden by the company's policy .

feed