Wednesday, September 27, 2006

For the first time Im 'against' open source

Its morning, I crawl into my office and open my email. There's an email with 'urgent' in the subject line and its from my boss.Hmm what could this possibly be. I read the mail what it basically said was to uninstall MS Office, Visual Studio,Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, Winzip etc from all systems and install oo.org . Im a little puzzled and also quite pissed off because it has to be done by tomorrow. Type rest of the post here Although one might say we are only promoting open source by this method but I tend to disagree.We are basically forcing everyone to switch over to oo without any formal training. What this would result in is unhappiness of the users and them getting a wrong idea of open source as inferior software. Later in the day I was about to learn what had caused this. It was a letter from the BSA to our MD 'an educational letter'. This meant our office could be raided anytime and since no licensing fees had been paid for a lot of software we were in quite a lot of danger. Im thinking to myself how often do I wish that this company had a planned IT developement but then again its only three more months. But for the fact Ive to oversee that this 'change' goes on smoothly Im not the least bothered. Some part of me even hopes that they are charged with piracy but then again who cares.

No comments:

feed